How to: Export & Import Products in Magento
It is important to know how to export and import your product data in Magento but this process can sometimes seem more daunting than it actually is. Thankfully, there are many outlets to help you through this procedure and in addition to the information out there, we have created a short and sweet tutorial on how to successfully complete this process!
Exporting product data:
- On the Admin menu, select System > Import/Export > Export
- In the Export Settings section, specify the following:
- Set Entity Type to Products
- Accept the default Export File Format to “CSV”
- After you change the Entity Type, a list of attributes will appear at the bottom. This section is used to exclude attributes from your export for various reasons. Select the attributes you want to exclude from the export by clicking the appropriate checkbox to the left of the attribute. This step can be skipped and is not necessary to export products.
- Click the Continue button
The CSV file that is generated can be edited and imported back into your store. Or, it can be used for mailing or other application. In this tutorial, we will be using the file to import products into Magento.
Importing product data:
- On the Admin menu, select System > Import/Export > Import. Then, do the following:
- Click the Check Data button in the upper-right hand corner of the page. The system validates the file. If the file is valid, the corresponding message and the Import button appear. If some of the rows in the imported file are not valid and cannot be imported, the corresponding information is included to the message, but you can proceed with importing. The invalid rows will be skipped.
- Click the Import button to import the data into the database.
We hope that you find this video and information helpful with exporting and importing your products in Magento! Stay tuned for more videos from us that go more in depth into the import/export processes. And as always, you can check out the Magento User Guide for any other tasks you may be finding difficulty with.